Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Joy of Meeting Again: "Reencountering" Harry Lloyd, His Roots, and a Written Response

“The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.”
(Charles Dickens)


“K” has told her side of the story as to how we all arrived at Lloydalists, and she’s told her story with great flourish and enthusiasms and a bit of light poking in my general direction (which is fine—I encourage gentle derision and, in fact, small acts of self-mockery ought to be part of a daily diet.  It keeps you “so very humble,” to quote the incessant refrain of that David Copperfield creep Uriah Heap, but without being quite as annoying and meaning it!).  You can read all about “K’s” side of things here, if you have not already.  (If you haven’t, what are you waiting for?!  If you have, good for you!  We’d reward you with chocolate if we had any left.  I, “C,” am a chocoholic.  In fact, perhaps that is what “C” stands for.)

In any case, this is not Chocoholics Anonymous, so we will put that to rest as I grab a napkin and wipe the Hershey’s smudges from my fingers and resume typing.  Focus, “C”!  Now, it is up to me to round-out the story of Lloydalists’ conception and bring us all up to date.

It starts with literature.

Books take me everywhere, make me interested in everything, and rattle me to through until the smallest neuron is ablaze.  So, while it may seem odd for others to learn that I stumbled upon an actor like Harry Lloyd rather roundabout, through books rather than film, it does not feel quite so unusual to me.

I am of that exotic (read: nerdy and proud) breed called the insatiable reader and my lifelong fondness for things like the BBC, history, art, and maybe even teatime may all be traced back to an early fascination with books.  Can we talk about Charles Dickens for a moment?  And not just because Harry Lloyd is among the youngest of his kin?

Victorian novels are a not-so-secret indulgence of mine, up there with eating too much chocolate, buying too many shoes, and writing too many non-work-related pieces when I should be writing work-related-pieces.  David Copperfield (1849-50, serialized) and Great Expectations (1860-61, serialized) are (at least currently) my two favorite Dickens works.  Coincidentally, Harry Lloyd is in a BBC film adaptation of each of these novels, but that’s just what I said it is: a coincidence.  I was a fan of these books long before I knew of Harry Lloyd, long before he had taken the role of young rapscallion Steerforth or loyal-‘n-loveable Herbert Pocket, and long before I was wise enough to even stop and think, “hmm, I wonder who Dickens’ relatives are now and what are they doing with their lives?  Are any of them writers, too?  Or maybe artists?”  Sure, I knew he had a family and I knew of his family drama, but the Literary Fiend in me liked to emerge frequently and linger a bit too long on nerdish fantasies.  I liked to think of Charles John Huffman Dickens smoothing his hair and twirling his mustache while in his own self-preserving bubble of literary greatness. It was a wide yet closed expanse populated by deliciously dilapidated curiosity shops, gurgling moors, brackish stone walls, and secret cemeteries; where he is untouchable unless he longs to be touched; where he is effervescently self-sustaining and potent Lord of the Manor; and where his only real “ancestry” is comprised of the saplings of writers who have sprouted from this great English Oak.  Or those who hope to somehow entangle their meager roots in his.

Or, in my case, trip over them and fall face-first into some shockingly great things!

Fast-forward to 1999 when David Copperfield was made into yet another film manifestation. Oh, another Dickens picture?  (Young “C’s” antennae were beginning to show.) What, it’s produced the BBC?  (Yes, the antennae were definitely out.)  Yes, I’ll watch it, please!  (Her antennae began to rotate.) And re-watch it.  (The antennae have malfunctioned from excessive use and retracted out of fear). And buy the DVD. (Now “C” has her wallet out.)  And fawn over it for the next 13 years. (Now she can continue this blog post.)


On the cusp of 16, Harry Lloyd took his first role on the screen, portraying, as mentioned above, young James Steerforth, the figure who would take wet-behind-the-ears David Copperfield under his wing while at boarding school, and teach him the ways of the world.  Harry does not last long in the film, as he—like all boys who are not part of the Peter Pan brigade—do have to grow up, and even the BBC has its moments of rushing stories along so that time passes, people age, and we are faced with the inevitable: trading in the child actor for the adult “version” (in this case, Oliver Milburn made his entrance).  Still, I am the same age as Harry and, so, it’s natural that a teenage girl would take notice of a charming, cheeky, and dare I say “cute” (pardon me while I cringe over such an irreverent term) teenage boy.  That’s all it was at the time, though—a “take notice” moment.  I watched, I saw, I moved on.  To say that I forgot the young actor’s face entirely would be a lie, but at the time, I didn’t know his name, nor did I know if I had seen him anywhere else.


Image: A young Harry Lloyd reading David Copperfield, circa 1999. Unknown Source

Allow me, please, a little side-tracking about Harry’s role in the film.  First, the budding actor did not get the role due to his Dickens connection but, rather, by hard work and a bit of fortune. It wasn’t until after he’d landed the part of Young Steerforth that the truth was out.  Back then, when asked about his preparation for the part, the young actor, quite composedly, admitted, “I was asked what I knew about Dickens,” and “I said I should know loads because of the family heritage, but I don't really know anything” (Lloyd, qtd. in “James”).  When the producers prodded for more about what he meant by “heritage,” Harry continued, “‘Well, Charles Dickens was my great-great-great-grandfather. My mum's maiden name is Dickens.’ They said it’s the best answer they'd ever had to that question! Then they said it wouldn’t affect their decision in any way, being related! I don't think it did any harm, but I don't think it was a distinguishing factor’” (qtd. in “James”).

So, the actor’s start began literally from the roots up. He happened to be spotted while attending the Eton School, during a casting visit.  We can imagine what happened next.  It wasn’t exactly the kind of “family business” Charles Dickens may have had in mind but, then again, the Victorian likely did not envision the future to include such pleasures as DVDs, high-definition television, and the BBC.



Image: Harry Lloyd as “Young Steerforth” in David Copperfield (1999) © BBC Productions. Image from PBS <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/archive/programs/davidcopperfield/whoswho/young_james.html>.



I went about my daily routine of reading, writing, working, watching films, and enduring the “daily grind” we all know so well.  A double-penchant for both the Robin Hood story and actor Richard Armitage led me to dive head first into Robin Hood (2006-2008), the Tiger Aspect production that was cheekily anachronistic, lushly landscaped, and charmingly cast.  While I went into the series expecting to scrutinize Mr. Armitage’s right-hand-man to the nasty Sheriff of Nottingham, Guy of Gisborne, it was not long before I found myself drawn to one of the “lads” in Robin Hood’s motley crew of outlaws or, as they call themselves “Dead Men.”  This younger lad, the son of a widowed carpenter and member of a starving village that was once beneath the protection of Robin of Locksley—and then tormented by the malignant reign of Gisborne and his stoolies—was typically silent in the series, a lurker, a thinker, a watcher.  I liked his stony stares, his penetrating glances, the way he used his eyes, his mouth, his props to convey bodily the emotive qualities that, at times, were lacking from the dialogue elsewhere in the series.

I was probably at least two-thirds of the way through Season 1 of Robin Hood when I couldn’t stand it anymore.  Who is he? Where had I seen this guy before?  Had I seen him before?  If I hadn’t seen him before, why not?  A quick perusal of The Internet Movie Database (imdb.com), the Holy Bible of any cinephile, revealed to me what I had not suspected.

Dear readers, I had no idea that this actor I was staring at—draped in course textiles, with large cross-stitched hems, ratty neckerchiefs, and earth-rubbed pants—was the same bold youth of David Copperfield from seven years earlier.  Of course, he was much taller, his voice much deeper.  His once-babyish, round face (that, to be honest, made even 15-year-old Harry look about 12) had grown angular, with notable cheekbones and a sculpted jaw.  Somehow, his eyes had grown fierce, if not penetrating—a necessity for the strong-and-silent Will, whose thoughts are mostly retained.

Learning that “Will Scarlett” was “Young Steerforth,” all grown up was less shocking than it was a joy at returning to an old friend.  And it was about this time, too, that I learned of Harry’s Dickens background.  Naturally, the literary-nerd in my did all but squeal.

But it was a sad day, dear friends, when (spoiler!) Will and his beloved did not return to the third and final season of Robin Hood.

Harry Lloyd as Will Scarlett in Robin Hood, a role he played from 2006-2007. This image was one of the photographs I sent to Harry to sign for me. Photo Credit: ©Tiger Aspect/BBC Productions
I’ll gloss over any more specific thoughts regarding Robin Hood and Harry’s portrayal of Will Scarlett therein because that is fine fodder for future blog posts, other Lloydalists’ reactions, and deeper insights as “K” and I, I’m quite sure, re-watch the series yet again.

Instead, I’d like to turn now to the “reencounter” with Harry Lloyd and how it led to writing to him.

As “K” has mentioned in her previous blog entry, she and I decided to write to Harry earlier this year.  Here is the appropriate excerpt from “K’s” entry, which echoes my sentiments about the matter:


[…W]e decided that we wanted to wish [Harry] good luck during the run of The Duchess of Malfi, and send our humblest but truest “best wishes” for everything beyond.  Certainly, a talented actor like this deserved to know he had supporters “across the pond” sending thoughts and good-vibes his way. 


“C” and I selected our stationary, ordered our International Reply Coupons, waxed with anxiety for weeks over what we wanted to write, reorganized our stationary drawers, bought our padded envelopes, selected the stamps, agonized some more, and, a couple of weeks later, we’d each (independently) written a supportive letter to Mr. Lloyd.  Additionally, we both included two pictures of him that we (politely, we hope!) asked him to sign.  And then, after the stuffed-and-sealed packages sat on our dressers for a day or two, “settling” and gathering courage for the flight in the U.S. Mail plane across the Atlantic, we finally got up the courage to mail them.   


“C” mustered her courage sufficiently to send that packet of love and support the second week of April; I sent mine on Tax Day (that’s one way to take the edge off a not-so-wonderful day; distract yourself with pleasant letters, not unpleasant tax forms). My co-blogger will undoubtedly fill you in on her side of the story at some point, so I will leave that portion of our “tale” alone. As for myself, I received a response last week on June 1, 2012.  


Here, I begin to recount the return of my signed pictures and a letter (actually two postcards’ worth of writing) from Harry, which I received on April 24, 2012.  I was on my way to my office, checked the mail on my way out of the apartment for some odd reason (typically, I check it on the way in, not out), and was perplexed as to why I was getting a small padded envelope with my own “return address” label affixed to the front.  Because I’d only just sent the letter to Harry a few weeks before, I wasn’t expecting a response quite so soon.  I was assuming that he would not have time for fan mail until after The Duchess of Malfi had wrapped on June 9th.  I was assuming that the mail from New York City to London and back would take some time.  I was assuming that he would be swimming in fan mail, particularly after his unforgettable turn in Game of Thrones (2011), and that I’d just have to be patient.  So, when it suddenly hit me that what I was holding in my hands was none other than a response from Harry Lloyd, I did what any sane Lloydalist would do.

I ran back up to my apartment, slit the padded envelope open, and called “K” immediately.  She knew why I was calling.  She knew.  We’re psychic like that—and since I’m a phone-a-phobe who hates talking on the phone, she knew that I’d only call her in cases of great excitement, such as this.

Please be patient with me: out of respect for Harry’s privacy and a desire for my own, I do not want to post scans of the letter he wrote back to me, nor of the signed photos (since he wrote my name on both of them).  I wrote to him to express my admiration, support, and encouragement—not to reveal all to the world.  And, plus, I like the feeling of having an “intimate” correspondence just between Harry and me.  I will describe a few points, however, and mention that the letter was written on “17th April” (Harry crosses his “7s”) and continued through two glossy-cardboard postcards from the Royal Shakespeare Company.  The 17th of April.  He’d written it two days following his appearance as a presenter at the Laurence Olivier Awards and the same day as he had a performance of The Duchess of Malfi.  I imagined him sitting backstage, in between rehearsal and the night’s performance, picking my blue-paisley-patterned stationary out of the pile of mail and reading it while rubbing his tired eyes.  And then, after I’d hopefully made him crack a smile at least once, he’d set about responding, still keeping an eye on the clock and likely careful not to get any ink on his wardrobe (see “K’s” Exploding Pen Theory post).  Then again, Charles Dickens worked as a labeler once upon a time; maybe being covered in globes and blobs and globs of ink is a hereditary trait?

Anyhow, here is his response, in a nutshell: Harry thanked me for my “lovely letter” and added, “I really enjoyed reading it.”  That made me crease with delight—because I enjoyed writing my letter to him, too, even if it did take me longer than normal.  He also thanked me for having enjoyed all of the characters he’s played (I’d mentioned in my letter a few of my favorite performances, such as Will Scarlett and Viserys Targaryen, how much I got a kick out of Oscar & Jim (2009)—his first big-screen picture and short—and how I was so looking forward to watching him play Herbert Pocket in Great Expectations (2011), which had not yet aired in the U.S.A.).

I also promised him that I would not gush about his relation to Charles Dickens because I am a self-confessed book-nerd and I’m sure he’s sick of being asked about it.  True to my word, I did not say anything more about my Idol.

In order to help him think of a response (since I didn’t know if he’d feel obligated to write something pedestrian and impersonal, just to fill some space), I’d asked him “is there any particular role that you are positively dying to play?  And if you weren’t an actor, where do you think you’d find yourself?”  His response was wonderfully insightful: “Not sure what I’d do if I wasn’t an actor.  I feel like I change jobs every time I change jobs you know?  So I never have to think about that.”

From this wonderful response, I got the impression that this is an actor after the thrill of each role, not someone necessarily looking for stability or a safety-net of a job that will allow him to stay put for years on end.  He is a young man chasing after a dream and quite contentedly doing it, finding something new, reenergizing, and amazingly engaging in ever role that comes his way.  He’s doing this for self-fulfillment, not just as a career, and it’s likely the reason why his rise to public attention has been gradual and somewhat inconsistent.  Harry Lloyd is an actor more concerned with his own happiness and self-fulfillment than anyone else’s goals for him. 

I knew there was a reason I respected and admired this artist.

Harry ended the letter, “Thanks for taking the time to write.  Very much appreciated.”  I’d like to say, thank you, Mr. Lloyd, for taking the time to write.  Your letter, the signed pictures (personalized, doodled-on, marked up with “xs” that I will cash in some day for three hugs, if I am so lucky and you will allow it!), and most of all time taken to respond to an enthusiastic viewer of your work “across the pond” is so very, very much appreciated. 

He signed his letter with the precise phrase found in the Lloydalists masthead, which is scanned from the letter: “All good things, Harry x.”  This phrase, dear loyal Harry Lloyd admirers, shall become something of the central crux of this blog, so don’t be surprised if you see it popping up here and there.

He also returned the two 5"x7" pictures I had sent him—one of himself from a few years ago (the same one “K” has posted in her blog post) and another picture of Will Scarlett, aiming his bow and arrow and looking quite intense.  On the Will photo, he drew two arrows, one labeled with my name and pointing at him; the other, labeled “Harry x” and pointing away from him.  How this little bit of doodling is meant to be interpreted is up for debate.  I take it as a reference to me sending him a letter and him sending one back, with each arrow representing an arrow.  Certainly, I don’t want to shoot him or be shot!  In any case, I am flummoxed with how sincerely nice it was for him to personal the photo in such a way.  On the second photo, he wrote “Dear C____, Love Harry x.”  He certainly loves those “x”s!  And I am properly chuffed!

For those Lloydalists also hoping to share with Harry messages of support and encouragement, you can try (as “K” and I did, with success):

Harry Lloyd
c/o Curtis Brown Group Ltd
Haymarket House
28-29 Haymarket,
London, SW1 4SP
United Kingdom

Please send no more than two photos to sign, as well as International Return Coupons if you are outside of the UK.  A little warning: “K” and I had a horrible time of tracking down IRCs at the local Post Office, so we wound up ordering them from usps.com. For those of you in the U.S.A.—two should be sufficient (unless you’re sending anything more than photos and pictures to be signed).  Make sure you include a self-addressed envelope that is sufficiently large and padded enough to contain and protect the photos and/or any letter Harry may send back.  And be aware that he may not send a letter at all—he may write his “letter” on a photograph, personalize things differently, etc..  “K” and I sent our letters fairly close together in time and yet, the responses each of us got were slightly different.  I’m sure that he manages to do what he can in what little free time he has, but it seems that he does read through his fan mail and replies by hand.  I highly recommend writing your letter by hand, too, as “K” and I did.  I’m a huge advocate for hand-written letters in general, but there’s nothing that says “I took the time to think of and write to you” than a hand-written letter.  Especially if you’re writing to someone whom you’ve never met, this form of correspondence is as intimate as you can get.  Then, be patient!  Harry is reportedly going to be spending his summer (or at least part of it) in the United States, particularly the West Coast, so it’s unlikely he will have his mail at hand as readily as when he’s based at home in London.

And please, Lloydalists, keep your letters respectable, thoughtful, and polite. The more sincere and like yourself you are, the better.  Don’t be afraid to be funny, too (although, steer away from creepy!  You don’t want to be “that fan”), and ask questions, especially unusual and interesting ones that are a little thought-provoking.  From the response I received, I was left believing that Harry likes somewhat mentally-stimulating letters that are written with a bit of sauciness and even some diversions to irreverent things, but always well-penned and proofread. 


A copy of the reverse-side of the postcards Harry used to respond to my April 2012 letter.  Note the amusing Shakespearean reappropriation of the London transit system.

Have you had a response from Harry that you’d like to share?  Let us know by emailing us at Lloydalists@gmail.com, tweeting us @Lloydalists, or commenting right here on our blog.  Please specify if you’d prefer your information remain unshared, anonymous, or edited in any way. 

Now that I’ve gotten much of my energies, as well as some poor attempts at mild-humor out of the way, I think I speak for “K” as well when I say that, for the most part, we are serious about Harry Lloyd here and, so, our blog entries, updates, and tidbits of information will attempt to retain a level of formality.  We will insert our fun on occasion, if a particular topic allows for it, but in our celebration of “all good things,” it’s crucial to remember that there is room for sobriety and shenanigans, and we will offer dashes and dollops of both whenever we can, when we can.  Harry’s roles have ranged from loveable to ludicrous to lustful: we’ll take a cue from his spectrum of parts and let our blog entries fit the setting, the stage, and the atmosphere.

Until the joy of meeting you all again, Lloydalists, keep reflecting on all of those “good things.”

~C~


Works Cited and Referenced

David Copperfield. Dir. Simon Curtis. Perf. Daniel Radcliffe, Maggie Smith, Ian McKellen, Emilia Fox, Pauline Quirke, Harry Lloyd, et al. BBC Productions. 1999. Film.

“Harry Lloyd (I).” The Internet Movie Database. IMDB.com. Web. 9 June 2012. <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0516003/bio>.

 “James Steerforth as a Young Man.” David Copperfield: A Who’s Who. Pbs.org. 1999. Web. 12 June 2012. <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/archive/programs/davidcopperfield/whoswho/young_james.html>.

Robin Hood. Dir. Matthew Evans et al. Perf. Jonas Armstrong, Gordon Kennedy, Sam Troughton, Keith Allen, Richard Armitage, Harry Lloyd, et al. BBC/Tiger Aspect, 2006-2008. TV Series.









~Written and Posted by C~

No comments:

Post a Comment